Stonehouse OAP shivers for 2 weeks while waiting for boiler repair
A Lanarkshire pensioner was left without heating for a fortnight and needed to be hurried into medical facility after turning blue.
Lesley Gardiner (69) resides in a protected real estate complex in Stonehouse, run by South Lanarkshire Council.
She reported her busted boiler to the council on December 30.
An engineer came out that day however did not repair her boiler and said it required a part.
She was gone to once again on Hogmanay however the boiler was still not repaired.
Lesley invested the next week wrapped up in bed aiming to reduce the effect of the cold. However the pensioner, who experiences arthritis and heart problems, was not able to cope.
On January 7 the warden of the sheltered housing complex called an ambulance after Lesley began noticeably turning
Lesley s niece Rachel Coupe (41) told the Advertiser: They believed she was having a heart attack. She was truly blue.
It turned out she had a bad chest infection. It was the cold that triggered it.
I can`t think the council anticipated her to handle all that time.
Lesley had actually been offered some electric heaters by her warden however was terrified of the costs she could generate if she put them on.
After being launched from healthcare facility on January 8, she did start using them so she would not get ill once again.
But she is still worried about the costs.
Lesley stated: They gave me heaters however I was worried about putting them on because I`m just on a pension, and they put on to refund the money you spend.
I started to put the heating systems on when I got out of hospital because I was terrified of getting hypothermia and passing away off.
I was blue under my eyes and on my hands. I couldn`t breathe effectively in the ambulance.
They have actually now set up a new boiler. They could have done that in the very first place. They simply didn`t appear to bother that I was cold.
You`re just a name and a number to them.
The council lastly got Lesley s heating up and running once again on January 12 after a new boiler was installed on January 11.
The council s executive director of Housing and Technical Resources, Ann Gee, stated: A fault to the heating was reported on December 30, and as the boiler was only eight-years-old, a replacement part was purchased and momentary heating units provided to Mrs. Gardiner, which were declined.
After fitting the part on December 31, an additional fault was recognized.
Due to the holiday period and manufacturer delays, delivery of the additional part required was taking longer than typical, and a decision was required to change the boiler.
Throughout this period routine examine Mrs. Gardiner were undertaken by the Sheltered Housing Officer and help and assistance was supplied.
The boiler was changed on January 11 and I would apologize to Mrs. Gardiner for the hold-up in repairing the heating system and for the hassle caused.